Skip to main content

Day 68: not so bad...


              When I started going back to the gym last week, I braced myself for the same 30+ days of aches and pains that I’d experienced 18 months ago, when I got serious about working out for the first time in years.

              As it turns out, my sporadic runs at fitness during the intervening time actually HAVE done me some good.

              Yes, the first couple of days were rough—in fact, I spent most of my Saturday last week laying in bed and groaning (but only AFTER I got my yoga class out of the way)—but with the help of a morning dose of ibuprofen each day, I gotta say, it’s not so bad.

              I attend a “bootcamp” (lots of reps of light-ish weights, lots of jumping up and down, all with very little time in between) 3 times a week. I was smart enough to tell the instructor that I was going to ease back into it—20 minutes the first day, 25 the second, and so on—but on Wednesday, I was a 40 of the 50 or so minutes.

              I still have to take more breathers than the super-fit chick who’s been the only other attendee during this holiday week, and I still don’t get to ALL of the reps in a particular set, but I figured it would be end of the year before I could do that, even painfully. It looks like it’s going to be a lot sooner than that.

              This is what, in weight watchers, they call a “non-scale victory”. And since I’m notoriously bad at celebrating those, I thought I’d better celebrate this one, stat.

              I DIDN’T completely reset to day 1 since day 1.

              Yay me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1, in which I say WTF.

My name is Vena. I'm a 39 year old single entrepreneur in a long-term relationship with an ADD smartboy who is 14 years, 9 months my junior. The first thing you should know about me is that you can't believe anything I say about my age. My boyfriend isn't 25, he's 36. I've been in business for myself since 1989. Do the math if you care to; all I can tell you is that I'm a lot younger at the age I am now that my mom was, and that many of the people I went to school with are, so the number literally makes no sense to me. I've never blogged about anything personal, but I'm blogging about my #100DaystoHealth because I'm worried. I'm worried that, even though I have no chronic illnesses or pains, I'll find myself on that downhill slide that so many of my older friends accept with complete equanimity ("I was so strong 10 years ago, now I can't lift a sheet of drywall"; "I'd go hiking in Vietnam, but my knees won't t

Day 4, in which I commit to taking my own damn advice

In one of my businesses, I spend a lot of time educating and coaching grownups to achieve some big goals around money and finance. I've been doing this for, like 20 years, which is a lot of years for a 39 year old, and so I've noticed some things about how mindset and behavior correlates to success, at least in this other business. There are some things I say so often that they've begun to sound trite even to me, but which I really, really find to be true. So much so, in fact, that I believe that if I could actually make any one person believe and act on them all, that person would quickly morph into the Captain America of my business, growing in size, strength, skill, success, and all around goodness in mere moments. Here's all of it: The difference between the 20% who make it and the 80% who don't isn't how much information they have; the same information is available to everyone in our business who seeks it out. It's inner game: are they telling t

Day 34, on which I see a bad moon risin.

Two things are happening that are conspiring to throw me off track in my #100DaysofHealth efforts. First, I’ve developed a bit of an injury. My left knee (which has no known problems but which does occasionally flare up like this) has been bothering me for more than a week. In the past couple of days, it’s gotten bad enough that I have a hard time walking downstairs (though up seems to be fine) and doing some of the things that are part of the bootcamp I take every other day.