Skip to main content

Day 69: Ya gotta have goals


Fitness is about the only area in my life where I don’t have a set of super-specific goals, and a list of actions needed to reach them.

In business, I have daily, weekly, quarterly, and even 1- 3- and 10-year goals (Have 1 million people in my database! Make a system of funnels and products that will make people want to join that list! Launch 1 funnel a month! Start funnel #1!).

It’s been my experience, and that of enough other people that there’s a whole library of books on the topic, that it’s these smaller objectives that actually WORK to move us along. Simply saying (or even writing down) at the beginning of the year that I want to make a million dollars by the end of the year isn’t going to do a thing; it’s less a ‘goal’ than it is an attempt to manifest something. Absent the meaningful shorter-term objectives that can be meaningfully worked on, the big goal gets swamped in the tsunami of, well, day-to-day life

But I’ve never applied the same thinking to my health. In nutrition, a lot of my ‘goals’ are of the ‘just check the box every day’ variety (eat real food, not much, mostly plants, every day), which aren’t terribly inspiring, especially when presented with a slice of delicious chocolate cake.

In fitness, it’s a combination of those same kinds of ‘check the box’ things (go to the gym every day) and vague or very long-term outcomes (get strong and flexible, get back to my college weight, live to be 130).

Personally, I find that those sorts of ‘goals’ don’t stay exciting for more than 6 weeks or so, max. In fact, I’ve sometimes converted them to “30 day challenges” (no carbs for 30 days, gym every day for 30 days) successfully, but the result is that by day 25, I’m counting down ‘til I can have pasta/take a day off/whatever, which makes them almost counter-productive in the end; “Ok, 30 days are over, now I can have all the things I denied myself for the last month!”

The thing is, I’m not a competitive athlete, nor do I have some strong desire to be able to bench press xx pounds (and don’t even know what a lot of pounds would be for a girl), so the kinds of goals that folks who are trying to accomplish something OTHER THAN living their best, healthiest life ring hollow to me. At the same time, when I am working out, I often have thoughts around things like, “I really want to be able to do [that thing that I just failed to do]”. And it occurred to me last week that those are…short term goals that I can actually measure and celebrate the accomplishment of.

So I started writing them down, and here they are, for the first time ever on paper.

1.       Be able to—and do—ride my bike from Cincinnati to Columbus (about 100 miles) over 3 days next summer
a.       Work on leg strength, esp. around knees
b.       Research best kind of bike for this
c.       Ride 20 miles, then 25, then 30, then 35 in one stretch
d.       Buy said bike as a reward for reaching next weighloss goal
e.       Find someone who’s willing to do that with me
2.       Be able to do splits by 1/1/19
3.       Be able to do 20 boy pushups by 2/1/19
4.       Be able to do crow pose by 3/1/19
5.       Be able to do a pullup by 6/1/19
6.       Take at least 1 fitness-centered trip in 2019: yoga camp, extended biking tour, something
7.       Go back to surfing school in late 2019 and actually have the upper body strength to get up on the board and practice balance, instead of spending the whole wave just trying to get upright

Now, I actually have things to work on day to day, instead of just looking for some semi-defined result in some unknown time frame.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1, in which I say WTF.

My name is Vena. I'm a 39 year old single entrepreneur in a long-term relationship with an ADD smartboy who is 14 years, 9 months my junior. The first thing you should know about me is that you can't believe anything I say about my age. My boyfriend isn't 25, he's 36. I've been in business for myself since 1989. Do the math if you care to; all I can tell you is that I'm a lot younger at the age I am now that my mom was, and that many of the people I went to school with are, so the number literally makes no sense to me. I've never blogged about anything personal, but I'm blogging about my #100DaystoHealth because I'm worried. I'm worried that, even though I have no chronic illnesses or pains, I'll find myself on that downhill slide that so many of my older friends accept with complete equanimity ("I was so strong 10 years ago, now I can't lift a sheet of drywall"; "I'd go hiking in Vietnam, but my knees won't t

Day 4, in which I commit to taking my own damn advice

In one of my businesses, I spend a lot of time educating and coaching grownups to achieve some big goals around money and finance. I've been doing this for, like 20 years, which is a lot of years for a 39 year old, and so I've noticed some things about how mindset and behavior correlates to success, at least in this other business. There are some things I say so often that they've begun to sound trite even to me, but which I really, really find to be true. So much so, in fact, that I believe that if I could actually make any one person believe and act on them all, that person would quickly morph into the Captain America of my business, growing in size, strength, skill, success, and all around goodness in mere moments. Here's all of it: The difference between the 20% who make it and the 80% who don't isn't how much information they have; the same information is available to everyone in our business who seeks it out. It's inner game: are they telling t

Day 34, on which I see a bad moon risin.

Two things are happening that are conspiring to throw me off track in my #100DaysofHealth efforts. First, I’ve developed a bit of an injury. My left knee (which has no known problems but which does occasionally flare up like this) has been bothering me for more than a week. In the past couple of days, it’s gotten bad enough that I have a hard time walking downstairs (though up seems to be fine) and doing some of the things that are part of the bootcamp I take every other day.