Skip to main content

Day 67: so little time


As I’ve gotten older, the voice that tells me that I have a smaller and smaller percentage of my life still ahead of me has evolved from a bare whisper to a claxon that never stops reminding me that time is short.

Even back in my 20s, I’d occasionally do the calculation. At 27: I’ll probably live to be 100, that means I’ll live as long as I’ve already lived 3.7 more times. Plenty of time.”

At 40: “I’ll probably live to be a hundred, which means that I’ll have the amount of time I’ve already lived 1 ½ more times. Plenty of time.”

Today: “Oh my God, if I only live to the average age for women in the United States, I’ve already lived more than half my life, and I’ve certainly lived the healthy part. How many more healthy years do I have to do all this stuff I want to do? THERE’S NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!!”

Time is a bloody bastard. It’s the most inflexible, inexorable force we're forced to deal with. We’ve learned to escape gravity, overcome mass, create and resist force, but can’t stop time for an hour to get in that workout we missed today. We have no choice but to work within it, and, as far as I’m concerned, the great tragedy of human existence is the way it acts up our bodies and minds through the aging process. By the time we’ve got things figure out, we’re often not in a condition to do anything about them. We abandon dreams and ambitions because of high blood pressure or bad knees or worse; old age and failing health are the thing that keep us from achieving more of what we set out to do, more often than not.

The only way I can see to fight back is to stay as healthy as possible for as long as possible, which isn’t fully under our control—an aneurysm or a car accident could derail any of us or take us out completely at any moment—but which is, all other things being equal, a matter of choice and consistent action.

We’ve all seen the stats on how smoking and eating the Standard American diet raises the risks for everything from cancer to diabetes to heart failure; new studies are coming out every day that link diet and exercise to things we never thought were controllable, like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.

But as interesting as all that is, it’s too theoretical to make me, personally, stick to (an ironically time-consuming) program of exercise and eating. I’m far more interested in just being functional and able to do stuff I want to do, which means NOT letting the natural decay of age wash me up on the shore.

It’s in my vision statement to die suddenly at 130, and have all of my many friends and colleagues say, “But she was so healthy! I just talked to her last week and she was planning a surfing trip!!” And I know that without constant vigilance to make sure I stay strong, flexible, and heart-and-brain healthy, that’s just a fantasy. Heck, it may just be a fantasy anyway, but it has a much better chance of coming to pass when I keep my health my One Thing.

I’ve come to believe that, while time will never stop being an unmitigated asshole, I don’t have to just lay back and take its abuses. Maybe refusing to go gentle into the good night of aging is just another way of tilting at windmills, but it seems like as good a losing battle to fight as any.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1, in which I say WTF.

My name is Vena. I'm a 39 year old single entrepreneur in a long-term relationship with an ADD smartboy who is 14 years, 9 months my junior. The first thing you should know about me is that you can't believe anything I say about my age. My boyfriend isn't 25, he's 36. I've been in business for myself since 1989. Do the math if you care to; all I can tell you is that I'm a lot younger at the age I am now that my mom was, and that many of the people I went to school with are, so the number literally makes no sense to me. I've never blogged about anything personal, but I'm blogging about my #100DaystoHealth because I'm worried. I'm worried that, even though I have no chronic illnesses or pains, I'll find myself on that downhill slide that so many of my older friends accept with complete equanimity ("I was so strong 10 years ago, now I can't lift a sheet of drywall"; "I'd go hiking in Vietnam, but my knees won't t

Day 4, in which I commit to taking my own damn advice

In one of my businesses, I spend a lot of time educating and coaching grownups to achieve some big goals around money and finance. I've been doing this for, like 20 years, which is a lot of years for a 39 year old, and so I've noticed some things about how mindset and behavior correlates to success, at least in this other business. There are some things I say so often that they've begun to sound trite even to me, but which I really, really find to be true. So much so, in fact, that I believe that if I could actually make any one person believe and act on them all, that person would quickly morph into the Captain America of my business, growing in size, strength, skill, success, and all around goodness in mere moments. Here's all of it: The difference between the 20% who make it and the 80% who don't isn't how much information they have; the same information is available to everyone in our business who seeks it out. It's inner game: are they telling t

Day 34, on which I see a bad moon risin.

Two things are happening that are conspiring to throw me off track in my #100DaysofHealth efforts. First, I’ve developed a bit of an injury. My left knee (which has no known problems but which does occasionally flare up like this) has been bothering me for more than a week. In the past couple of days, it’s gotten bad enough that I have a hard time walking downstairs (though up seems to be fine) and doing some of the things that are part of the bootcamp I take every other day.