Skip to main content

Day 65 (or 1, or 543): The case for a little.


I started my #100DaysofHealth project on May 22nd, 2017.

Today is November 18th, 2018.

And I still have 35 days to go.

Not that I haven’t focused on my health at all during the year + since I last blogged; I’ve had entire 30 day periods when I worked out pretty regularly, concentrated on eating foods that made sense, meditated, and did at least some of the other things I was so dedicated to during the summer of ’17.

But it’s fair to say that it’s been sporadic; that I haven’t really, fully been focusing on my health for more than a year now.

You’d think, given that it was mostly just the reuptake of old habits, it wouldn’t make much of an impression on me. But since it followed a period during which I was insanely committed to exercise and healthy food, you’d be wrong. The difference between the way I felt in August and the way I felt 2 weeks ago, when I stuttered my way back to the straight and narrow, is made deeply more stark by the recency of the comparison.

Oh, trust me; I’ve spent a LOT of time this beating myself up over how far my fitness level has fallen. And how silly it is that I can’t focus on something important for 100 days in a row. And how I need to get back to it (next week). And how undisciplined this makes me. And how all 123 of my readers are probably judging me (as if you aren’t so busy with your own lives…).

And it’s not the big things—the , at one point, 20 pound weight gain, the inability to do even one pushup when I could do 10 last summer—that really stick in my craw. It’s the day to day differences in how I feel.
·       My feet are all messed up; wearing heels even for a few hours leaves me feeling like my big toe is dislocated for days.

·       My Achilles tendon is contracted and sore in the morning until I’ve walked around and stretched it. Neither of these things were true (was true?) when I was practicing Yoga twice a week

·       When I teach an all-day class, I’m so worn out by the end that I can barely think. In May of last year, I taught a 4-day class and was able to get all the way through AND spend some time sight-seeing in the evenings.


·       Now that I’m back at the gym/studio every day, I’m having to go through the same soreness that plagued me for the first month or so after I started last time; this had completely disappeared by the time I stopped regularly working out

·       I have a difficult time controlling my moods, and that shows itself in an extreme lack of patience. Last year, I noted repeatedly how calm and happy I was in general. Is it the sugar? The lack of exercise? Dunno, but it’s something

When I ask myself WHY I let this happen, I get a number of (possibly self-delusional) answers. It all started September of 2017, when I entered a phase of my year where I travel nearly constantly to promote an event that I care deeply about, but which stresses me enormously.

When I travel, I have a hard time eating appropriately because—well, have YOU ever tried to eat real food at midnight in Toledo? After a presentation where almost no one showed up and you’re mad because you wasted your time and you can’t express that your mad because the people who screwed it up are really nice…

And I have a hard time exercising because of the odd hours I work, and because all that travel is exhausting, and I want to sleep whenever I’m not on stage and I’m not great with inserting myself into new places, say, by getting a guest pass to a local yoga studio.

It’s just hard to be on the road for months on end AND stressed AND focused on staying healthy, and by the time that event was over, it was the holidays, and, well, you know…the holidays are never a good time to focus on eating right and working out.

Fast on the heals of that came my busiest travel season of the year, combined with the 7-week renovation of my kitchen. Rather than deal with living in what looked, for a while, like a warzone, I simply stayed on the road for most of February and March.

Summer would have been a great time to get back on the wagon, but somehow summer completely got past me this year. Yeah, I went to the gym, and I managed to get on my bike and take a long ride maybe a half dozen times, but with the real estate market booming, I also got a lot of opportunities to speak at associations over the summer. And committed to an all-new 8 week long class that had to be written, produced, and taught from June-August.

Then came event season again, and I did 14 live presentations in 22 days from the end of September through the middle of October.

Then there was a bad cold that lasted 3 weeks. Much whiskey and NyQuil was required to make me feel better.

And then the event.

And then the recovery from the event.

Like everyone else, I can explain away not making my One thing my One Thing. For over a year.

I knew that staying focused and consistent would be a challenge, and it was. But here’s what REALLY makes me mad at myself:

If I had done ANYTHING during that time to keep myself from losing all this ground, I’d be a lot better off now. If I’d stretched in the hotel room for 15 minutes. If I’d headed down to the hotel gym and lifted their inferior, unfamiliar weights for 15 minutes. If I’d jumped rope for 5. If I’d not been so “all or nothing” (‘Cause I spent a lot of time during this last 479 days thinking about how I needed to work out for an hour a day 6 days a week, instead of working out for 15 minutes a day just to keep from completely deteriorating) I’d be much better off today, I’m sure.

I’m back now; there are roughly 35 days left in 2018, and I’ve been at the gym for the last 3. I’ll be there for all but 5 before the end of the year. I’m eating Keto (more on that later), and will except for a handful of celebrations (Thanksgiving and Christmas, obviously, plus a couple of holiday business events). I’m blogging again, obviously; it turns out that having this source of accountability is important for me.

In short, I plan to start the new year already down the road to health and longevity.

And yes, this was a painful post to write. I’m disappointed in myself for having lost all those gains, and over something so stupid as not finding a few minutes a day to make the main thing the main thing.

And yes, I’m hesitant to post it, because there’s a fairly insistent voice in my head screaming, “You fell off the horse once; if you’re going to do it again, don’t draw anyone’s attention to the fact that you’re back on it!”

And while I’m feeling pretty motivated right now, I do recognize that my health is the one area in my life that I’ve really never gotten under control (except for those 2 months or so last summer), and the rational part of me does realize that past behavior probably does predict future outcomes.

But I try to live by the rule of having zero respect for my own limitations. And this is me, doing that, right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1, in which I say WTF.

My name is Vena. I'm a 39 year old single entrepreneur in a long-term relationship with an ADD smartboy who is 14 years, 9 months my junior. The first thing you should know about me is that you can't believe anything I say about my age. My boyfriend isn't 25, he's 36. I've been in business for myself since 1989. Do the math if you care to; all I can tell you is that I'm a lot younger at the age I am now that my mom was, and that many of the people I went to school with are, so the number literally makes no sense to me. I've never blogged about anything personal, but I'm blogging about my #100DaystoHealth because I'm worried. I'm worried that, even though I have no chronic illnesses or pains, I'll find myself on that downhill slide that so many of my older friends accept with complete equanimity ("I was so strong 10 years ago, now I can't lift a sheet of drywall"; "I'd go hiking in Vietnam, but my knees won't t

Day 4, in which I commit to taking my own damn advice

In one of my businesses, I spend a lot of time educating and coaching grownups to achieve some big goals around money and finance. I've been doing this for, like 20 years, which is a lot of years for a 39 year old, and so I've noticed some things about how mindset and behavior correlates to success, at least in this other business. There are some things I say so often that they've begun to sound trite even to me, but which I really, really find to be true. So much so, in fact, that I believe that if I could actually make any one person believe and act on them all, that person would quickly morph into the Captain America of my business, growing in size, strength, skill, success, and all around goodness in mere moments. Here's all of it: The difference between the 20% who make it and the 80% who don't isn't how much information they have; the same information is available to everyone in our business who seeks it out. It's inner game: are they telling t

Day 34, on which I see a bad moon risin.

Two things are happening that are conspiring to throw me off track in my #100DaysofHealth efforts. First, I’ve developed a bit of an injury. My left knee (which has no known problems but which does occasionally flare up like this) has been bothering me for more than a week. In the past couple of days, it’s gotten bad enough that I have a hard time walking downstairs (though up seems to be fine) and doing some of the things that are part of the bootcamp I take every other day.