Skip to main content

Day 64: Are you embarrassed for me?


              I think I have a pretty good (if somewhat cynical) grasp of human nature.

              My understanding of “how people are” informs my belief that the most of us—a number in the 98th percentile, I’d guess—will utterly fail when attempting to make big changes to their behavior.

              Big changes like, for instance, transforming oneself from a fat slug with a bad attitude about exercise and no positive habits of thought, or of eating, or of relaxation to a positive, energetic, 6 times a week exerciser.

              Every time a friend or acquaintance informs me, usually with great gusto, that he or she intends to (fill in this blank with anything from doubling the size of their business to going back to school to get a law degree to losing 50 pounds to eliminating TV from their lives), I always try to be encouraging.

              But there’s a part of me that loudly screams (within the confines my own head, of course), “Yeah, SURE you are! Because that’s how this works: you just decide after 30 years that you’re gonna be completely different, and because you’re so excited about it, it’s gonna happen. NOT!!!”

              That screamy part of me sounds like I WANT people to fail. I don’t. Assuming they’re not resolving to join Al Qaeda, or become heroin addicts, or something equally destructive, I want them to stay focused and disciplined and reach their goal and also maintain it forever.

              Because if they do it, maybe I’m not a total fool for believing I can, too.

              One of the things I realize about the difficulty human beings have changing their habits, beliefs, and lives is that it applies to me, too. I’m not deluded. I understand that the odds apply to me to.
 And like everyone else, I occasionally convince myself that it’s NOT true, that THIS TIME I’m really fed up and that I won’t give up, won’t back slide, and that I really really can be a whole new person. And, usually, like everyone else, I lose whatever fire got me motivated in the first place, and where there’s no fire, there’s no steam, and where there’s no steam, there’s no motion.

It’s day 64 of my blog, but it’s day, I don’t know, 300 maybe, on the calendar since the beginning of my #100DaysofHealth project. I’ve fallen completely off the wagon so many times, and sometimes for months on end, that it’s tempting to declare the whole thing a complete and utter failure.

At this moment, it would be fair to say that I’ve lost most of the gains I made last year: I feel weak, I’m not as flexible as I was last summer, I’ve put all the weight I lost back on. After all that determination (not to mention, as I read back through the blog, all that self-important preaching to readers), I’ve failed to completely change my life, as I set out to do.

Are you embarrassed for me? Is my falling back into old habits just more proof to you that no one can really make big changes, so it’s useless to even try? Is there a little part of you screaming, “See?? I KNEW you were fooling yourself the whole time!!!”

If so, let me share my OTHER understanding about human nature.

We do change.

Your beliefs, behaviors, and habits aren’t the same today, I hope, as they were when you were half your current age.

Your level of understanding about yourself and the world is probably drastically different.

And I bet your body isn't the same, either.

These changes, good or bad, came about largely because of the experiences you’ve had, and many of those experiences were accidental, un-designed, and un-reflected-upon things that just happened to you.

We do change, but it’s usually not with any particular intention, and it’s usually over a long period of time.

We do change, but not always because we want to, and it’s not always in the ways that we want to. We—most human beings—just sort of get carried along in the raging river of time, occasionally tossed on the rapids or swept over a waterfall, until we’re dumped into the ocean of oblivion at the end of our lives.

Don’t feel sorry for, or be embarrassed for, me or anyone else who occasionally grabs a rudder and tries to get some control over the journey. Yes, it’s probably futile, and yes, it’s exhausting, and yes, at some point it’s easier just to let go and go back to floating.

But like any exercise, the effort or wrestling that rudder can be strengthening in itself.

By grabbing hold of it and then letting go, I learned a bunch of things:

1.       That working out sucks, but being strong rocks in so many ways I can’t even tell you, but probably will in a future blog post

2.       That eating junk food always seems like it will make me feel better in the moment, but it really doesn’t

3.       That, by some mysterious alchemy that I don’t understand, exercise makes me calmer, nicer, more patient, that I ‘really am’.

4.       That, all in all, I really like being in shape a lot better than I like being out of shape. If only it were easier to achieve and maintain that shape.

Here’s what I think: trying and failing and trying again is how life works. We hate the failing part—I hate the failing part,--but if we don’t change on purpose, we’ll change accidentally, and that’s worse.

So if it takes me 400, or 600, or 1000 calendar days to ‘succeed’ at focusing on my health for 100 days, so be it. I'll change over those days no matter what. I'd rather TRY to control those changes, even if I fail utterly and completely.

Gotta go now--I have to go to the gym and finish getting back in shape.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1, in which I say WTF.

My name is Vena. I'm a 39 year old single entrepreneur in a long-term relationship with an ADD smartboy who is 14 years, 9 months my junior. The first thing you should know about me is that you can't believe anything I say about my age. My boyfriend isn't 25, he's 36. I've been in business for myself since 1989. Do the math if you care to; all I can tell you is that I'm a lot younger at the age I am now that my mom was, and that many of the people I went to school with are, so the number literally makes no sense to me. I've never blogged about anything personal, but I'm blogging about my #100DaystoHealth because I'm worried. I'm worried that, even though I have no chronic illnesses or pains, I'll find myself on that downhill slide that so many of my older friends accept with complete equanimity ("I was so strong 10 years ago, now I can't lift a sheet of drywall"; "I'd go hiking in Vietnam, but my knees won't t

Day 4, in which I commit to taking my own damn advice

In one of my businesses, I spend a lot of time educating and coaching grownups to achieve some big goals around money and finance. I've been doing this for, like 20 years, which is a lot of years for a 39 year old, and so I've noticed some things about how mindset and behavior correlates to success, at least in this other business. There are some things I say so often that they've begun to sound trite even to me, but which I really, really find to be true. So much so, in fact, that I believe that if I could actually make any one person believe and act on them all, that person would quickly morph into the Captain America of my business, growing in size, strength, skill, success, and all around goodness in mere moments. Here's all of it: The difference between the 20% who make it and the 80% who don't isn't how much information they have; the same information is available to everyone in our business who seeks it out. It's inner game: are they telling t

Day 34, on which I see a bad moon risin.

Two things are happening that are conspiring to throw me off track in my #100DaysofHealth efforts. First, I’ve developed a bit of an injury. My left knee (which has no known problems but which does occasionally flare up like this) has been bothering me for more than a week. In the past couple of days, it’s gotten bad enough that I have a hard time walking downstairs (though up seems to be fine) and doing some of the things that are part of the bootcamp I take every other day.