Skip to main content

Day 63: No Moody Blues



Many times this summer, I’ve had the thought that 2017 has been the best year of my life.

It’s not that there’s been any significant life event (other than moving to a more peaceful neighborhood last winter). I’ll make about as much money this year as I did last; I weigh roughly what I did when the year started; I’m with the same guy; the challenges in my business have been the same, or perhaps greater, than in the prior year; there haven’t been any extraordinary events or leaps forward. If I think about it, I can even come up with the usual set of disheartening, frustrating, unfortunate occurrences and moments.


And yet I still have the strong sense that the year, and most particularly the summer, has been more full of contentment and happiness than any I can remember since I was a child. I’ve bounced back faster from setbacks and disappointments. I’ve been more consistently positive and optimistic. I’ve been really good about not letting douchebags bother me. I’ve been more pleased with my relationship, more satisfied with my life, and had more moments of flat out joy than in…well, ever. It’s been a lot like being on Paxil for months, only I haven’t been.

And in an example of how disconnected from cause and effect I sometimes am where it comes to my own experience, it just occurred to me last week WHY this probably is: 5-6 days a week of hardcore exercise, which I began in May.  The fact that at least 1 day of this exercise, most weeks, has taken place not just outdoors but in full-on nature. Eating, for a lot of this time, lots of fruits and vegetables and not many carbohydrates. Avoiding sugar and alcohol more than usual.

But mostly the exercise.

I still don’t like it. I get through it. And in the last month, more often than not, I have to fight not to talk myself out of it. But it was the most consistent change I made this year, and I have to credit it with the fact that my mood and outlook has improved 100% even though my life hasn’t changed a lot.

In the past few weeks, as I’ve been traveling a lot for work again, and stressed out by a huge project that takes place every year at this time, I’ve fallen off the exercise wagon in a big way. There have been entire weeks that have gone by when I’ve only worked out once. Whether I’m more impatient and likely to see everything that’s going wrong, more likely to take offence and less likely to let thing roll off my back is because of the stress of this time or from lack of exercising my body is something that I’m putting to the test this week by going back to my every day workouts.

I wish there were a more obvious cause and effect relationship between exercise and outlook; if working out made me happy until it wore off and then working out again brought the feeling back, I’d probably be addicted to it instead of just determined to grind my way through it. But I’m convinced enough that I’ve felt so good this summer because of what I’ve put my body through that I’m sitting in front of the gym as I write this, waiting for the 3rd time this week for my 9 am bootcamp to start so that I can be so so ready for it to be over for a whole hour. But hopefully also have my spirits lifted in a way that I can’t instantly perceive, but also can’t help but notice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1, in which I say WTF.

My name is Vena. I'm a 39 year old single entrepreneur in a long-term relationship with an ADD smartboy who is 14 years, 9 months my junior. The first thing you should know about me is that you can't believe anything I say about my age. My boyfriend isn't 25, he's 36. I've been in business for myself since 1989. Do the math if you care to; all I can tell you is that I'm a lot younger at the age I am now that my mom was, and that many of the people I went to school with are, so the number literally makes no sense to me. I've never blogged about anything personal, but I'm blogging about my #100DaystoHealth because I'm worried. I'm worried that, even though I have no chronic illnesses or pains, I'll find myself on that downhill slide that so many of my older friends accept with complete equanimity ("I was so strong 10 years ago, now I can't lift a sheet of drywall"; "I'd go hiking in Vietnam, but my knees won't t

Day 4, in which I commit to taking my own damn advice

In one of my businesses, I spend a lot of time educating and coaching grownups to achieve some big goals around money and finance. I've been doing this for, like 20 years, which is a lot of years for a 39 year old, and so I've noticed some things about how mindset and behavior correlates to success, at least in this other business. There are some things I say so often that they've begun to sound trite even to me, but which I really, really find to be true. So much so, in fact, that I believe that if I could actually make any one person believe and act on them all, that person would quickly morph into the Captain America of my business, growing in size, strength, skill, success, and all around goodness in mere moments. Here's all of it: The difference between the 20% who make it and the 80% who don't isn't how much information they have; the same information is available to everyone in our business who seeks it out. It's inner game: are they telling t

Day 34, on which I see a bad moon risin.

Two things are happening that are conspiring to throw me off track in my #100DaysofHealth efforts. First, I’ve developed a bit of an injury. My left knee (which has no known problems but which does occasionally flare up like this) has been bothering me for more than a week. In the past couple of days, it’s gotten bad enough that I have a hard time walking downstairs (though up seems to be fine) and doing some of the things that are part of the bootcamp I take every other day.